Strengthen Your Upper Body: The Best Pull Up Bar Guide
Remember when you used to dread having to do pull-ups in high school? Who knew that you’ll eventually look for the best pull up bar years later?
What a lot of people tend to realize once understanding fitness concepts better is that pull ups tend to be one of the most straightforward exercises there is. There are no complicated steps to get this exercise done. All you really need to do is pull your body up and you’ll already get a good workout.
Despite this, however, it manages to be a very challenging exercise. Performing pull ups is no joke. It’s also highly beneficial for your health and fitness.
A quick comparison and overview of the products that we`ll discuss today!
If you’re already itching to get started on this routine, you’ll need the most reliable pull up bar before anything else. This bodyweight exercise can put you at risk of injuries if you opted for the wrong product.
Choosing the best one can be tough with all of the options, though, so here’s a quick guide that can help you out.
Reviews of The Best Pull Up Bar
One of the worries of those who liked doing pull ups at the gym is that they might not find a nice home equipment that can help them replicate their gym workouts. If this is your primary concern, fret not as the Sportneer Doorway Chin Up Pullup Bar is something that might interest you.
Designed with twelve foam grip positions, you can do a lot of different routines with this equipment. If you really want a full rig but don’t have the space for it, this might already do the trick for you.
With its solid steel construction, it can handle up to 330 lbs of weight. It also employs a slip-in design so you don’t have to struggle to put it in place every time you want to workout. The padded grips are great bonuses, too, as they can offer a secure and comfortable hold on the bar.
- This model sports a solid bar construction so it can offer a higher weight limit.
- Despite its appearance, it’s actually very easy to assemble.
- It’s very easy to install so you can start working out right away.
- This model fits most standard doorways that measure 24″ to 36″. Measure your door first, though, before buying so you can be sure that it will fit.
- It’s very affordable.
- There are screw heads that are protruding and might scratch or damage door frames. You can remedy this by placing a cloth between the equipment and door frame.
- It’s only suited for door frames that are 5.5″ to 6.3″ thick.
Need more details?
If you want something that doesn’t come with lots of frills, the Garren Fitness Maximiza Pull Up Bar would also be worth checking out. This workout equipment is very straightforward in design as it’s only a padded pole with an adjustable length.
What makes this product notable is its mounting style. While screw-in home exercise equipment isn’t entirely groundbreaking, the additional support and security provided by this product make it a popular choice. It’s deemed as a safe and affordable option for most city dwellers as they don’t usually have a lot of space at home.
What else do we like about this product?
- Its padded grips provide nice cushioning for a comfortable workout.
- The screws that come with the unit are rather small, so the holes that they will make once removed from your door frame shouldn’t be hard to patch up.
- It also comes with medium duty brackets so it can be used at a lower height. Be careful not to install this as a pull up bar.
- Its solid one-piece construction makes it less prone to breakage and warping out of shape.
- The brackets might need tightening every now and then. Remember to check first before going all out on your workout to avoid injuries.
- Some people might find the padding to be too thick for a firm grip.
Need more details?
Those who are not big fans of pull up bars that aren’t fastened to the wall and can afford to bolt stuff down might find the Titan Fitness Wall Mounted Pull Up Chin Up Bar.
This product is a wall-mounted steel rig. It’s rather basic, though, so it’s highly versatile.
Due to its simple design, there’s a lot that you can do with it. For one, you can choose to install it either horizontally or vertically. You can also choose to customize it should you feel like it.
It might not look like the fanciest workout equipment around but it can offer great things.
- This equipment can handle weights up to 500 lbs which makes it one of the top pull up bars out there.
- It can be used for other exercises aside from pull ups.
- Its price is very friendly.
- It has a very solid construction.
- The screws that come with the package aren’t the best. You can use other screws, however.
- The package can be improved.
Need more details?
Not all doors are made the same size and it can get frustrating if yours are wider than the standard sizing.
If you can’t go for a wall mounted option, check out the j/fit Deluxe Doorway Pull-Up Bar with Comfort Grips.
Made to fit doors that are up to 40 inches wide, it can be the very answer to your needs. What’s even great about it is that it’s telescopic design only extends on one end. This lessens the possible points of failure so it can promise your safety.
We’ve also chosen this product as a top pick because of the following:
- The grip pads are removable so you can easily adjust it according to your comfort.
- You can easily move it from one spot to another. This makes it highly versatile.
- It comes with end caps that you can screw onto your door frame so it won’t create a dent. It also offers extra security.
- The rubber ends can leave a mark on your door frame. It’s not too bad, but it’s still a mark.
- The screw in brackets might prove to be necessary for some people to use the bars properly.
Need more details?
Garage gym builders will want a more reliable pull up bar to help them get a good workout and the Ultimate Body Press Ceiling Mounted Pull Up Bar can be a good match for this purpose. Its design and secure mounting might already do the trick for small home gyms.
As this product is mounted on the ceiling, it can make you worry about its vertical clearance. It extends 16 inches downwards so it’s not too different from most door-mounted models. It might make you feel more confident about your workouts, though, as it can be safely secured on concrete or studs.
What made us choose this product over the others are:
- Its bar configuration allows various ways to hold onto the bar for various pull up exercises.
- Its ergonomic design and thick padding make it more comfortable to work with.
- Its maximum weight capacity is not listed by the manufacturer.
- The foam grips have a tendency to move.
Need more details?
Your Pull Up Bar Questions Answered
If you’re still not sure whether pull up bars are good additions to your fitness routine, digging deeper into these products might just help you make your mind about these products. To help you with this, let us answer some of the most frequently asked questions about pull up bars.
Why Use a Pull Up Bar?
The first thing that you might be curious about is why you should use a pull up bar in the first place. With so many different bodyweight exercises and weight training equipment on the market today, why make the fuss with pull ups?
The answer here is as straightforward as doing a pull up. This exercise is very beneficial to your health and fitness. Some of the many things it can offer to you include:
- Improved upper body strength as it will take a lot out of you to perform the workout. It’s not easy to pull your bodyweight up if your arms and core are weak.
- Improved posture as it can train your back to be in the right position to execute the strenuous movements required in the exercise.
- Use of a wide range of upper body muscles. You won’t just use your arms to execute pull ups, so it can be a very efficient exercise if you want to strengthen various muscles.
- Increased agility as it will help you carry your body with more ease.
- Strengthened core which will help reduce your risks of injuries.
- Offers a simpler workout than weight training as you won’t have to use various tools to get in better shape. With more muscles you build, the more challenging your workouts will be.
- There’s a wide variety of routines you can do so it won’t be a boring exercise.
It will be hard to argue against the fact that pull ups are some of the most practical and convenient weight lifting workouts there is.
How Safe are Pull Up Bars?
While pull ups are very promising, they also tend to come with a complication. As it will have to carry your entire weight, it has to be sturdy.
If not, you’ll be in danger of falling and hurting yourself in the process. This is why lots of people ask just how safe are pull up bars.
The answer to this question depends on the product and where you intend to mount them. A heavy-duty bar that’s properly and securely installed on the wall or ceiling can offer safety.
If you live in a rental but you still want to find a quality pull up bar for home use, there are some door-mounted options that you can go for. With the right product and proper installation, they shouldn’t damage the property you’re renting.
Do pull up bars damage doors?
Again, the best products, correct installation, and proper use shouldn’t result in this. They might create a slight dent in the frame, but you can also prevent that by using a rag or towel in between the bar and the frame.
What Pull Up Bar Should I Buy?
If you’ve already decided that you’re getting a pull up bar, the next thing you’ll need to decide on is which one it should be. Choosing just one can be overwhelming, so we’ll help you narrow down your choices.
To do this, make sure to look for the following features in the product you’re interested in:
- High weight capacity as it will determine whether the bar will be able to handle your weight.
- High quality so you won’t have to worry about the bar bending or getting deformed while you’re using it.
- The right measurements to ensure that you’ll be able to execute the exercises properly. For door-mounted models, this can also determine whether you can actually use the product or not.
- Comfortable grips so you can execute the exercises without being hindered by an awkward hold on the bar.
Our Top Pull Up Bar Recommendation
Pull ups may be some of the most basic exercises out there but it doesn’t mean that it’s not worth doing. It’s challenging, free, and highly beneficial to your strength training, so it’s highly recommended by experts. Choosing the right equipment for the exercise can be a bit of a challenge, though.
If you want our opinion on the matter, however, we’d have to recommend the Sportneer Doorway Chin Up Pull Up Bar. It’s the most versatile and easiest to install product in the list, so it can suit a lot of users’ needs. It will also allow you to do different exercises, so it can offer more value for your money.
Of course, the other items in this list can also be considered as the best pull up bars. It all depends on your preferences and requirements, so it’s also important to know what you want and need in a workout equipment. Hopefully, our list gets to help you find the right match for you, though.