The Ultimate Guide to the Best Ankle Weights
There’s a lot of debate among healthcare and workout experts regarding the use of ankle weights for walking and other exercise workouts. Many experts say that the use of ankle weights is crucial when you’re recuperating from an injury, while others say that the added weight offers constant muscle exercise. That’s why lots of people are looking for the best ankle weights they can buy.
Still, when you use ankle weights for running you increase the risk of injury. But when you use them correctly or when you use ankle weights for aerobics, the increased resistance can offer several important fitness benefits.
With ankle weights, you can boost your endurance, burn more calories, and tone your legs. You also offer some variety and extra challenge to your exercises.
A quick comparison and overview of the products that we`ll discuss today!
- The Nordic Lifting Ankle/Wrist Weights is light weight. The weight makes it perfect for yoga users, beginners, and for women.
- The All Pro Weight Adjustable Ankle Weights uses metal weights instead of sand, and you can increase the weight in half-pound increments.
- The Stronger Adjustable Ankle Weights Set is soft and comfy to wear, but it’s sturdy with a lifetime warranty.
When you know how to use them properly, all you need is the right set of ankle weights and you’re all set. That leads to the obvious question: How do you find the best ankle weights for you?
We’ve spared you from that tedious task by compiling this handy list for you instead. Take a look at some of the most highly rated ankle weights available today.
Reviews of the Best Ankle Weights
Just about everyone who has bought and written a customer review for these Nordic Lifting ankle weights have given it a perfect score. While the extremely affordable price may have something to do with that, it can’t be the only reason.
With this, you have the option to choose from 1 to 3 pounds for each ankle weight. That range of weight is quite nice and safe for beginners, since much heavier ankle weights offer too great a risk of injury for the benefits you get.
This is one of the most comfortable ankle weights around, as it comes with neoprene padding so the weight doesn’t chafe against your skin and bone. It’s also fully adjustable with the large Velcro pad, and you can switch into using it for your wrist any time you want to.
It’s very durable with its reinforced stitching, so you won’t have to worry about any tears. It’s even designed for outdoor use, as it even comes with a reflective trim to let motorists know of your presence on the road.
It comes with a carry bag so you can bring it with you anywhere. It also comes with a 1-year warranty.
- It’s much safer to use than other ankle weights with much heavier loads that can over-stress your joints. The weight is just right especially for beginners.
- It’s soft against your skin, and you can secure it firmly in place so the weight load doesn’t move. It’s very comfy.
- The price is downright affordable.
- The reflective trim is a nice touch. It works really well in reflecting light and indicating your presence on the road.
- It can fit small and very large ankles and wrists.
- The main problem for some is that the weight may not be enough for their needs.
- We aren’t sure if there are other color options, but the grey can make it very obvious if it becomes dirty.
- Despite the claims that it can be used by kids, these may not be ideal for children.
Need more details?
For those who want lots of weight options for their ankle weights, these can really work. With these, you can adjust the weight by half-pound increments.
Here you start with a wrap-around pouch with 10 empty slots. You then have 10 weights weighing half a pound each.
So do the math, and adjust the weight simply by choosing the right number of weight pieces to use. Just make sure that you distribute the weight evenly on your ankle, so that there’s no extra pressure on just one side.
Many customers have testified that these are very durable. Some have said that their All Pro ankle weights have lasted for many years.
- You can adjust the weight by half-pound increments.
- You can start very small with just half a pound of weight for each ankle.
- You can continue to progress up to 5 pounds for each ankle without having to buy a new pair.
- There’s no sand, so any accidental tearing will cause the sand to empty the slot.
- With the half-pound weights, you can just sew any tear back and you can once again out back the weight. You can’t do that with sand.
- It costs about twice as much as the others.
- Because of te slots and the weights you put in, it can be a bit “puffy” so you need to deal with the bulk.
- The 5-pound capacity may be too tempting for you, and you may use it in such a way as to cause injury.
Need more details?
Just to be clear—the “adjustable” in the name refers how you can adjust its fit around your ankles and wrists. The weight isn’t adjustable at all, as it is fixed at 2 pounds each.
This can be used by men, but it’s really designed for women and their thinner ankles. It can be used by older children too, as long as they’ve received proper instruction on how to use them properly.
Like the others, you just use the Velcro strap to snap them in nice and snug. The ankle weights are a bit long from top to bottom, so the weight is distributed nicely.
It’s nice and soft, and yet it’s sturdy too. It even comes with a lifetime warranty for a replacement or refund.
- It is very reasonably priced.
- The two-pound weight is good enough for beginners and for women.
- The dark color hides any sweat stains and dirt.
- The Velcro snap is very secure, so you don’t need to keep readjusting the strap.The lifetime warranty testifies to its durability.
- It’s one of the most durable ankle weights around, as some even use it while kickboxing.
- You’re fixed at 2 pounds per ankle weight. If it’s too heavy or too light for you, tough luck.
- For many plus-sized folks, it may not be able to go around the ankle at all.
- It does not come with a storage container.
Need more details?
Readings all these reviews, you may be wondering: Should I buy ankle weights at all? How do ankle weights rank among various workout tools?
It all depends on what you want to do. So let’s compare it with other popular exercise accessories.
Ankle Weights vs. Weighted Vest
The weighted vest does offer a lot of advantages. When you’re running, it won’t affect your balance as much as a pair of ankle weights will. The vests also don’t put too much stress on the joints. They also work well when you’re using them for bodyweight exercises such as pushups and pull-ups.
But vests are useless for many leg exercises. This is particularly true for leg raises, since having the extra weight on your torso doesn’t exactly help, does it?
Besides, many women don’t find lots of vests particularly comfortable. That’s not the case with 1-pound ankle weights.
Ankle Weights vs. Resistance Bands
Resistance bands are great accessories, there’s no doubt about that. You can use the offered resistance to really build up muscles. Depending on the type of resistance band you get, you can train your upper body or even your lower body.
However, ankle weights can be more effective when it comes to rehab from ankle sprains to knee injuries. As long as you use light weights and do your exercises carefully, these weights can really help bring you back to your former strength.
The point is that there’s really no way to compare these exercise tools properly. It’s all about how you intend to use them, and about using them properly.
Best Ankle Weights Recommendation
So which one is your best bet if you’re looking for ankle weights? It really does depend on you, although any set on this list is a good choice.
But for our money, the really great choice is the pair of All Pro Weight Adjustable Ankle Weights that reaches up to a total of 10 pounds. It’s always great to have some way to adjust the weights according to your needs, and the half-pound increments won’t shock your tendons and ankle at all.
You can start really small with just a half-pound weight on each ankle, and then progress on from there. This is a set that can be used by the entire family. All these features make it our choice for the best ankle weights you can buy.